Half-Life Decay Forum Index Half-Life Decay
Official website of PC port of Half-Life: Decay addon

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Half-Life Decay done in 26:28!!! [PC version/Coop]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Half-Life Decay Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolkid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Half-Life Decay done in 26:28!!! [PC version/Coop] Reply with quote

High Quality #1/#2 634.14 MiB
Medium Quality #1/#2 461.37 MiB
Stream YouTube/Vimeo
COMMENTARY (recommended!!)

Demos

Half-Life Decay Done Double Quick: HLDDDQ

Players:
FELip [CLAN LEADER]
igor
quadrazid
Zhouy
rayv3x

1 segment per map
Capped bunnyjump

(CB being an acronym for Change-Bug)

Overall we're very satisfied with the result (apart from dy_accident1). This is a project that we started with in April and got it completed in October. We haven't been working on it actively all the time though, we really started to get up the pace and get motivated when we discovered a new trick in September.

If you're interested in knowing more about the tricks and hearing our wonderful voices as we progress through Decay I really recommend to download the commentary. Really.
(Pardon me for my lack of a wider vocabulary by saying "basically" 999999 times)

Thanks to Zhouy & Rayv3x for letting us use their demo at dy_uplink. And you, FELip, our [CLAN LEADER], without you it wouldn't have been possible to finish this. Thanks :') Edit: Oh shit, I forgot to thank ReCover for letting us use his uploading service for the commentary (I tried uploading the speedrun at first but I couldn't get it to work, probably due to my computer being a wreck)

//Some notes by quadrazid

The most time saving script we're using in this run is a trick that we like to call the "change-bug". The purpose of the script is to get far up to the sky without the use of grenadeboosts or normalboosts. The Decay engine works so that whenever a person switches to the other player (as you can do in Decay), you maintain your speed that you had when you switched. So yeah, changing a player does not affect your movement.

For example; if you do a grenade boost and switch players just after the grenade explodes the player that the grenadebooster switches into gets the boost. By knowing this we figured out that if a player jumps and then switches to the other player just as he jumps, he's going to be in the air. By testing this even further we developed a script that made it possible for one player to freely gain as much height as they want to while the other player has to stand still.

What the script basically does is that it changes into the other player, makes a jump with that player and then changes back. A very time and health saving way to surpass many obstacles that before were completely impossible or only manageable with a grenadeboost.

Change-bug Demonstration

The script. (paste it into userconfig.cfg) Keep in mind that this script is lag sensitive. When we played the person who didn't host the server wasn't able to get it work correctly with around 50-60 ping. Less is needed for it to work. So therefore it only works for the host hosting the game or maybe if you're playing through LAN.

Change-bug script
Code:
//Gg-game
alias w wait
alias "c" "changeplayer"
alias "j" "+jump;w;-jump"
alias "rofl" "c;j;c"
bind q rofl

A script that works with lag but is less effective:

Code:
//Lol-loud
alias "ww" "w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;w;W;w;w"
alias "pilly" "ww;c;w;j;c"
alias "woddie" "j;pilly;pilly"
bind "f" "woddie"

Our bunnyjump script: (loopscript)

Code:
bind "space" "+3"
alias +3 "alias _special 4;4"
alias -3 "alias _special;-jump"
alias 4 "5;wait;special"
alias 5 "7"
alias 7 "+jump;alias 5 8"
alias 8 "-jump;alias 5 7"

Hope you enjoy our speedrun! We had a lot of fun making it :)

(Maybe you guys could be so kind and put this on the front page, would be really cool if you would) :)

Last edited by coolkid on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:48 pm; edited 22 times in total
sixcentgeorge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could upload it to youtube .
and use the url button also :
high
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2N82M413

medium
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3LYA9BOD
coolkid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I assumed that like on most forums that putting a [url] tag wouldn't be necessary, thanks for helping me with that Smile

I could upload it to youtube but due to the time limit (which is 10:59) I would have to split the video in 3 parts which would screw up the commentary. Unless someone with a directors account uploads it (no time limit). I'm right now uploading it to http://www.vimeo.com, going to take quite a while for it to finish Smile Oh well, it's almost 6am here in Sweden so I should head to bed anyway.
Barnz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about "player change bug". It was a good watch. I also listened commentary.

I like how igor hides next to pipe when using valve in dampen. It's the most difficult mission on original version. I seen many players die in that area on PC version too. Also sorry for the door bug in dy_accident1. Smile

Edit: It's now on front page news.
sixcentgeorge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the speedrun is great , the video is top .
the map with lasers should be edited to make it not that "easy" : few seconds for it ;] , it is a sort of cheating for speedrunners like you are ...
one thing is strange : did you forget to add the alien map ?
coolkid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as the Alien map isn't a part of the original mission we decided to not speedrun that map. The objective of a speedrun is to finish the game as fast as possible so Lasers is OK in my opinion ;) The trick we do isn't cheating, it's just kinda hard to explain.

And thanks for your comments and putting it on the frontpage! :)
iocator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched it yet, but well done. Is this quicker than the two people who did it on the PS2?
coolkid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, way quicker ;)

Edit: Some of their times:

Dual Access - 01:23
Resonance - 06:04
Code Green - 01:33
Intensity - 02:26

Total: 11:26

Our time on those maps: 06:43
0v0q

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who didn't like the Change-Bug, we've uploaded runs wich were made before we explored the trick to Youtube.

Resonance without CB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S7oKYGldZw&fmt=22
Crossfire witout CB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-BTvjCBXUQ&fmt=22
formosa32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain in a more simple way what do the "change-bug" happends and how do it works?
sixcentgeorge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i well understood the chang-bug :
"The Decay engine works so that whenever a person switches to the other player (as you can do in Decay), you maintain your speed that you had when you switched. "
it can be use with an example : if you play gina and be running or jumping ; when you switch to colette she is "running/jumping" : she has same energy of movement as if she were moving like gina . while she was not .
0v0q

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixcentgeorge wrote:
if i well understood the chang-bug :
"The Decay engine works so that whenever a person switches to the other player (as you can do in Decay), you maintain your speed that you had when you switched. "
it can be use with an example : if you play gina and be running or jumping ; when you switch to colette she is "running/jumping" : she has same energy of movement as if she were moving like gina . while she was not .

Correct!

I did a video, trying to explain the trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFqBesNK8hA&fmt=18
dEsTrOYeR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WON or STEAM?
0v0q

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all played on Steam.

EDIT: If some of you guys that know alot about this game could check this out, we need verifiers to got our run up on th Speed Demos Archive list:
http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php/topic,1285.0.html

"A verifier needs to be someone who has played, completed, and knows enough about a game to determine whether the gameplay in a run is good or not.

So what does a verifier do? Here's a list:

1) Watch an entire run.
2) Make sure the video and audio quality is fine, such as no audio sync problems or missing portions.
3) Make sure the player isn't cheating.
4) Check for consistency between saves. For example, if one segment ends with 5 bullets and the next starts with 7.
5) Tell me if they're impressed with the run, or if the run is below SDA standards.
6) Help me with timing start/end points, if the game doesn't have a timer."

It's a very easy process and it would help us alot, thanks.
Barnz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm proud to say that I beat Decay more than hundred times. I also watched speedrun two times. Smile

I guess you can link them to here for a verification, or do I need to sign up and PM him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Half-Life Decay Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: